Freitag, 31. Dezember 2010

The Last Course

This is my very last entry, the last you will read  from me, the icing on the cake.
I will tell you in a few minutes what my point is over this whole blog,  about the reason why I wrote the blog about  food, and about American desserts.
I cooked through every region of the U.S. and told you its history.
Seven regions, The West Coast, the Middle Atlantic Coast, The Midwest, The South, The Mountain Sates, The Southwest and The West Coast. Seven regions, seven different influences, climates, and seven different cultures.
The U.S. is one country, but as big as Europe, and you can even say it is like Europe. Every state is like a country in Europe and has different influences, culture, accents, climate, and a different history. Not one state is like another state. They might all speak English and they might have similarities, but each of them is different ans special in its one way.
You might think now, "What is her point?" I will tell you. My point is that you can't name a specific meal, or a specific way people are, or how the landscape is, because, as I have tried to tell you many times here, every state is different, like a whole new country. That was why I cooked through every region of the U.S. and told its story. My point is that you have so many possibilities here, I am not saying that the "American Dream" is reality, there are many poor people in the U.S., and I am not saying that the U.S. is perfect. No country is, but I think it's worth it to travel to the U.S. You have so many possibilities here, you can go to the desert, snow and ice, hot sun and beach, or to the evergreen state where it rains so much. 
The reason why I wrote about food is because eating food is what everyone is doing (if they have food), all around the world. The way poeple eat and cook their food shows us a part of them and their country's history. How they live, where the typical meals came from, what is eaten a lot in this region or counrty, and why it is eaten there. And most importantly, how the country became what it is today.
Now to my dessert part.
American desserts are described as easy cake and cookie recepies that everyone can cook, either grandma or children, and that brings the family and friends together, baking cookies or cakes.


I made peanut butter layered cookie bars.  They are like a strange cake, but they taste delicious.  A popular myth held by many Americans is that peanut butter was invented by George Washington Carver in 1915. He did invent over 300 uses for peanuts, but peanut butter was not one of them, as it had already been invented before. 

So, the icing on the cake is that I have enjoyed eating my way around the U.S. and hope that you have enjoyed it too! 





Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen