Montag, 18. Oktober 2010

Day Five-The Midwest

Hey everybody,
Al Capone
Chicago by night
Today is the fifth day of cooking through America, and I'll tell you about the Midwest. The Midwest includes the states of Ohio, Michigan, Minnesota, Iowa and Missouri. There doesn't seem to be a universal division of the country into regions, so you might find another arrangement of the Midwest and the other regions on other sites. Chicago, Illinois, is the third largest city in the US after New York and Los Angeles, and some believe it to be culturally and commercially the most meaningful metropolis in the Midwest. The food has influences from Northern Europe and Scandinavia, and when you visit Michigan you might feel as if you were in Holland because celery and tulip fields are quite common. The names Zelland or Harlem are a testimonial of the settlers. I think you may have heard of Chicago's major gangster boss Al Capone, who was responsible for a daily production of 80,000 l of moonshine during the prohibition.

beefsteak with corn and potatoes
Today I cooked two things, but the first can we only eat tomorrow because it's not ready yet. The first thing was peanut butter ice-cream, but it's still in the freezer. The second was beefsteak with baked potatoes and corn-on-the-cob.  Well it should have been corn-on-the-cob, but my mum couldn't find them anywhere so I used corn from the jar and put it in the sauce. But everything tasted pretty good anyway, nearly everything does if I may say so, maybe my family wasn't of the same opinion, but they're all polite anyway and have been supportive of my cooking. I didn't really like the steaks, they were rather tough, but the rest was great.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen