Sonntag, 17. Oktober 2010

Day Four-The South






Hey everybody,

slaves  harvesting cotton
Guess what, it's me again.Today is my fourth day of cooking through America and we are in the South.When I speak of the South,  I mean the states Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Mississippi and Alabama. The South has strong influences in its food from the days of slavery in the 18th century.Soul food, cajun food, tex-mex cuisine and the creole cuisine are specifics of the South cuisine. For everyone who does not know what soul food or anything of this is , here is a little explanation for you: soul food is the name for the traditional cuisine of the African-American in America, especially in the South. Because the food for the slaves was of bad quality in the time of slavery, they made  it with much sugar and oil to advance the taste.Often they use spices like cayenne pepper, nutmeg, pimento, cinnamon and thyme. Canjun food is the cuisine of the french immigrants in the South. Typical ingredients include shrimps, oysters, and strange things like alligators and frog legs are eaten too. Tex mex food is a composition off  Texan and Mexican food, often very hot and spicy. The creole cuisine is similar with the cajun cuisine, but the creole cuisine is more oriented in the classic french style of cooking.
(I tried to copy the code of the video in my blog but it did not work, so I ll just put the link of the video in here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DK_s60YclE)
For everyone who has seen the video I put in, when I see this,  I want to be there and eat everything. It looks so good, a little bit unhealthy maybe because of the immense amounts of oil but, yummy and when I saw this cake everything was forgotten..



plantage pancake
red rice with chorizos
Maybe you want to know what I cooked. Even if you don't want to know it,  I will tell you. In the afternoon I made plantage pancakes with much sugar. And for dinner I made red rice, rice with tomatoes and chorizos, a very delicate kind of sausage. I wouldn´t recommend the pancakes I made because they had so many eggs inside that they just tasted like eggs, and I couldn't taste the sugar inside them!! Of course I put much sugar on them but there HAS to be sugar inside!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen